Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

NULC

There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living. -Nelson Mandela

Reader, I have a confession to make:

I believe this quote with all of my heart.

And yet...

There have been times when I lost faith and found my passion and big dreams too heavy on my heart. My eyes became shielded from the sun, and my gaze had fallen.

I told myself there was no shame in being normal, mediocre. It was ok to settle.

Settling. What a horrible word. What a horrible concept. What a horrible way to live!

But today reader I dare to dream big! I dare to defy defeat! I dare to stick a fork in the face of my fears!

You see reader I received the following encouragement from the National Undergraduate Literature Conference:

February 18, 2010

Dear Applicant:

Congratulations! You have been selected to present your submission at the 25th annual National Undergraduate Literature Conference. Your work is among the finest submitted to us by undergraduate students from every state in the nation, and we enthusiastically congratulate you on your achievement as a writer.



They called me a writer.

They want to hear my ideas.

They are congratulating me.

And perhaps they too see my potential.

Success to me is living a life filled with passionate pursuits. It means setting goals and then reaching them. It means always progressing and never settling. It means never getting too old or too comfortable to leave room for dreams.

Today reader i have tasted success. The crumbs will remain on my fingertips and the taste will linger in my mouth, because i know it's all possible. All of it.

At least for today.










2 comments:

  1. :) I really could not stop smiling after our chat last night, it literally made my day! You are fabulous and I am so excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Congratulations Ashley! That's Awesome!
    Ps: This is EXACTLY what I needed to hear today! THANK YOU for posting it! :D

    ReplyDelete