Search This Blog

Sunday, February 14, 2010

melatonin and movies

Reader, sunday afternoons were made for naps. Say what you will, but even the LORD said it was a day of REST. I was exhausted after church, but my mind would not stop running in thoughtful circles. So I may or may not have taken a little sleep aid in order to take my much needed sunday nap. Consequently I have woken up with a blogging epiphany....and a sleep aid hang over...

But no matter, i am resisting the "i just got ran over by a concourse of 16 wheelers" hang over feeling to bring you my epiphany.


And here it is (remember reader if it's not very good, I may or may not still be under the influence of a beautiful little substance called melatonin...):


I happen to have a brain. Therefore I should bring more culture, personal insight and reflection into my blog while nixing the ambiguous stories about myself. I love writing all about how "totally awesome I am" (gag!) and I'm sure reader, you LOVE to read all about me, but alas I am choosing to create a blog of meaning rather than meaninglessness. (But don't worry reader, I will still include my ridicules life stories along with my rare moments of spiritual clarity...) And so here I go...

Last week av and I went to see a foreign film portraying the effects of genocide in Rwanda a decade or so after the violence. The movie is entitled, "
Munyurangabo" and I highly recommend you watch it if you ever get a chance.


Toward the end of the movie, a very poignant and moving poem is recited. In my mind, it is the epic experience of the 90 minute film. In essence, the poem is a call for Rwanda to rise up and change. It is a call for people to build hope for their future. Ideas such as peace, acceptance, education and hard work are expressed in the poem. My initial reaction was one of awe. The beauty of the poem’s language and rhythm were shocking. Then I began to wonder was this an accurate reflection of Rwanda and her people, or a reflection of the director? While the poem criticized The West, it also praised many of their practices. Where had this poem come from? I did a little research of my own, and found that the person reciting the poem was actually the author of the poem. He is a poet in Rwanda and he was telling, from his own mouth and using his own words, his hope and dreams for his country. The poem is entitled, "Liberation is a Journey". I have yet to discover a translation of the poem online, but I can never forget the look in his eyes as he showed us a piece of his soul. It was beautiful and moving. Sometimes I forget how strongly and innately humanity will beg for liberty and freedom. I am grateful for the reminder.

I hope one day I will be able to help liberate, either literally or intellectually, other people from their own tyranny and bondage.

Speaking of tyranny and bondage, if you REALLY want to educate yourself about Pakistan (which I HIGHLY recommend you do, because we cannot win in Afghanistan without Pakistan.) then click on the link below. The video is entitled, "Children of the Taliban":

http://video.pbs.org/video/1134781691/

It will change your perspective and make you question everything you think you know. Watch it. I dare you.

Well there you have it reader. In my post sleep-aid-coma, I have found the words to hopefully enlighten your mind, enlarge your heart, and add some much needed culture to my blog.

Mission Completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment