Search This Blog

Monday, July 19, 2010

The" Real" and 2 words you really need to know

I saw Inception this morning. It was, I have to admit, absolutely AMAZING. The 2.5 hours I spent in the movie theater passed without me noticing, and when it ended I was sad to leave the world they had masterfully created.

It makes my head spin, however, to think of the shear number of blog postings Inception will undoubtedly inspire. Therefore, I will keep my comments to a minimum in order to resist accumulating myself into the cliched masses of Inception bloggers.

1. If you like Inception I HIGHLY recommend Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind.
2. As you watch, notice that time is extremely flexible and powerfully subjective. Then think of Stephen Hawking (genius!) AND my previous blog post. :-)
3. I love questioning the "real". This is why I'm an English major. Never be afraid to question your own perception of reality; never be afraid to question what you THINK is real.


That is all. Moving on...

Reader, I have a confession to make. I have not posted anything for 3 weeks (thanks for noticing mom! it feels good to know someone anticipates my musings...)because I've been afraid of my own thoughts. Have you ever tried to run from, and ignore your own mind? Somehow you think if you can just pretend it's not there, it will eventually go away. But then one day you realize that all your pretending has actually been covering up pieces of you. You're then left wondering-who are you really? Has the pretense, and the facade been a process of self-discovery or self-denial?

Reader, do you ever feel like you're the only one in the entire world that could possibly feel this way? Even as I write I wonder why I feel so save in confessing so much to the stark illusion of "real" and "readership" known as a blog? Which in turn begs the question, is my blog a catalyst into self-discovery or self-denial?

In other news, I'm studying for the GRE, and in the process I have found 2 especially lovely words:

Gregarious-sociable; outgoing; enjoying the company of other people...for some reason that word, along with it's definition, makes me smile
Ebullience-the quality of lively or enthusiastic expression of thoughts and feelings

I hope one describes me, and the other is something I offer to those around me.





5 comments:

  1. inception! woo! and you are definitely gregarious and you have a great amount of ebullience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the self-denial is an inevitable step in the process of self-discovery. If you weren't able to distinguish what was alien or disingenous, you would never be able to truly own the parts of you that are without pretense. Inception + Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind = the types of stories I wish I could live in all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same goes for you D! I just love you!

    And Mary, I like what you said about self-denial being a process of self-discovery because i think you're right. Recognizing the pretense always you to more full recognize and digest the parts of you more real. Touche' my friend! That was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to go with self discovery. Keep a private journal for those thoughts that you're not ready to share. You'll start understand which is yours and which is pretense and the best part is you won't be daunted by your readers' opinions. You've convinced me to watch Inception and to continue learning new words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *that should be ALLOWS you to more fully recognize and digest the parts of you more real.
    Proof read ashley, Proof read! I blame the late hour when I made the comment...

    ReplyDelete