Search This Blog

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Frivolity in Words, Excess of Thought

Ok reader how do you feel about the revamped blog?? I needed a change...so I started here. Don't be shy-tell me what you REALLY think!

And if anyone could tell me how to add the gadget that secretly tells me how many people log on, that would be great! For the longest time I resisted the urge of knowing who, if anyone, actually read my blog. Naturally, curiosity has gotten the best of me. I'm hoping for no surprises. Well, a surprise or 2 would be nice! Ok so maybe I AM hoping for a surprise subscriber or 2...but, as they should be, expectations are low.

I mean really, there are MILLIONS of blogs out there. Sadly, all you have to judge mine by-if you don't know me-is my title name. I can just imagine the likely perusal: "My heart is an apple? WTF?! I don't even know what that meansssss...NEXT!" I 'm missing all the arsty-farsty photographs in every nick and cranny....or pictures of unique places that I've been....or the extensive lists that proof just how cool I am. In short, I don't really "get" technology so my blog looks rather stark. Which brings me to the sudden change I've made. I think it's an improvement. I mean, I think I look cooler. Ok. New confession that's painfully obvious: I'm self-conscious about my blog.

Reader, a sudden new thought has seized my heart! I'm going to stick my tongue out at my self-conscious self. So here I go....I'm making a list of all the things that I'm painfully mortified about. If I'm really brave, I'll never erase this list. (We'll see if it lasts through the night.) Phew. Ok. Here I go...

Hopefully everyone has stopped reading this very frivolous and extremely pointless blog entry by now...fingers crossed!

1. the plethora of grey hairs on my head
2. hair in general...i mean the hair NOT on my head or eyebrows. yuck.
3. my weight. duh. of course. i'm a girl
4. spelling. i'm a horrible speller! SPELL CHECK has saved me from embarrassment SO many times....unfortunately, however, not ALL the time.
5. i've got to be the worst person, on the entire planet, at math. i try to avoid any situation that may include anything more than basic addition, subtraction, and in some cases multiplication.
6. i snort when i laugh. it's embarrassing!
7. depending on what i eat...i'm a walking time bomb of gas
8. my eyebrows. do you know anyone else who has to trim theirs?!
9. my sometimes apparent lack of knowledge, culture, and (dare i say it??) class. Case in point. Perhaps this entry isn't the smartest, or classiest thing I've ever written. ha!
10. i wanna be a good writer one day. this blog is a pseudo scratch pad for trial and error. I expect to write a lot of really bad stuff, before something pretty good comes outta me. until then, i'm self-conscious about my blog/anything i write.

Ok that lists feel pretty good. Somehow putting it out there doesn't make it so scary. Reader, if you've made it this far, then i suggest you leave a comment telling me what you think about the new blog diggs, along with something YOUR self-conscious about. Come on, show your self-conscious self who's boss!

8 comments:

  1. I love you. This is so great. And actually before I started reading I thought "love the new layout!" haha. i didn't dig the black as much, it just wasn't you. Good for you putting things you are self-conscious about up here! I hate my arms. and i wish i had a bigger butt. too much? haha. I'm afraid i'm delusional about being good at school. I'm scared the grad schools will see my application and laugh and laugh and wonder what kind of crack pot teacher gave me the idea to apply.... and remember what that lady said to us at weber state? "Everybody writes sh*t" or something along those lines. and i love it when you snort. and you have a lot of knowledge, but i feel the same way about myself sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're right. putting that out there was a little cathartic. a LITTLE. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. and i'm afraid im going to be a failure at life. and im afraid i already am a failure. I followed my friends blog and she was SOO accomplished i had to stop reading it because I would get depressed about my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. definitely my belly and i sort of hunch m y shoulders, i hate that, but for the most part i have really come to embrace the things i used to hate about myself. i think you're great and i love the new blog. you can check out sitemeter.com for a counter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the counter info Kas! You know, I've never noticed any slump in your shoulders...because I think you're absolutely beautiful.

    Dana-I'm absolutely STRUCK WITH TERROR every time I think about applying to grad school. But the thing is, we have passion and passion counts more than anything else! We can do grad school!! I hear you about the failure thing. I have the same fear, but then I think..."I just started my life. I'm way too young to have failed just yet! So I'll worry about that when I'm older." (yes i just quoted myself. ha!) Perhaps that's denial, but i think it's perspective too. I love all 3 of your comments by the way! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can only aspire to someday write something that gets so enthused a response from anyone, much less the great Dana. ;)That wasn't me being snarky, I was utterly sincere. And no my contribution. I am self-conscious about: 1)my curvalicious approach to what has been my higher education. I laugh it off, but I hate that I've made stupid decisions that I now have to fix under the eyes of the Judging who may believe I've lost my potential. 2)I sometimes think I come off as trying too hard socially--it's not fake, but I know how awkward/overenthused I sometimes appear. 3)I've completely lost my concept of punctuation. I try hard, but it's been a long cold couple of years out on the internets where terrible grammer and sentence structure reign! Ok that's all for now. Tip of the iceberg. And I trim my eyebrows too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you are able to read this then I finally figured out how to make a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now your in trouble. . .I figured out how to post a comment!! Your blog is nice. A change is always good but I don't see the dramatic, artistic Ashley that usually displays itself. It's summer, it's hot, cool colors are good. But where are the highs and lows?

    Your honesty always makes me marvel (sometimes embarrases me) but maybe it really does free you up. I also am impressed when I see you look at your flaws and then decide to change or improve that part of me. Most of us just try to hide it, hoping no one else is really looking! But please remember your flaws are few and your beauty out shines those weaknesses. Love You

    ReplyDelete