Search This Blog

Friday, October 8, 2010

Thursday Morning Epiphany

Finally! I have found some time to write a new blog post. Have you missed me? I have missed you. You-who I don't even know, in the mass blackness of cyberspace-have somehow come to mean something to me.

Can I ask you something reader? How do you learn to live?

My teacher posed this question in class, and it struck my mind with such potency that I looked up from my writing with shock. Walking out of class, I wondered why this particular idea struck me so deeply? How did this apply to me? How does this apply to YOU reader?

The question inherently implies that you are not fully living, and consequently must find a way around this predicament.

Am I merely the blind man who hits the tree, but misses the forest?

Someone told me once living meant pushing through-forcing your way through life and all its choices. Then somewhere along the movement, you will pick up the knack for living.
So is life a mere procession of action? There is no "fail" or "success" only "learned" and "learning"?

Have YOU learned to live? Are you living, or merely surviving? Are you acting, or being acted upon?

Sometimes in school I feel stuck in a box, and I can't wait to fly away and discover for myself what it means to learn how to live.

4 comments:

  1. A lot of times I think the only way that I can learn to live is to create. If I am creating, I am living; if I am creating poetry, I am living; if I am creating laughter, I am living; if I am creating love, then I am living. I believe the living is in the creating...

    ReplyDelete
  2. J.M. I am so glad that you read my blog. I always look forward to your posts-your thoughts and insights are something that I cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley Williams, the one who lives in the risk. Viva la vida! I like your new picture by the way...it's a lot happier. ;) I miss your face chica.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know that you'll get this message. . .you know me and the computer but in case you do know that I have missed your thoughts. They always surprise me, make me think and wonder how could I have such an intelligent daughter.
    I love what you wrote and the comments. For some of us if we're not creating we'd rather be dead. But I have also been in places where getting out of bed was all I could give to life. Was I living? But so much effort. I was learning. On a roll-a-coaster ride is it only the hieghts that fill us full of life or is it also the lows?

    ReplyDelete